Exciting and as visual as ever – Eurovision 2019 did not disappoint with the messages contained in the songs and performances of its entrants – in particular Bilal Hassani- the French Eurovision entrant 2019 with his single “Roi”.
He was joined on stage by two other inspirational dancers. The ballerina that performed on stage as Bilal sang his entry is 18-year-old Lizzy Howell, a ballet dancer that gained fame on Instagram three years ago when she uploaded a clip of herself performing. Lizzy too has received abuse and been the victim of bullying her whole life due to her weight, but hasn’t let that hold her back – winning prizes and acclaim with her ballet skills. The other dancer Bilal is joined by on stage reveals she is deaf during the performance.
At the end Bilal touchingly and powerfully declared- as well as being ‘Roi’ (King) – that “ we are all Queens!” in his message of hope to all. We must stand in solidarity together. Bilal is our kind of inspirational person – we decided to find out more about him with a Take 5…
When did you realise that you wanted to be a music artist? What or who has inspired you ?
I don’t even remember wanting to become a music artist. Music has always been a part of my life and I have a lot of influences: Beyonce, Madonna, Mariah Carey, Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury , David Bowie etc.
Who, living or dead, would you dream of collaborating with?
Beyonce just for her work ethic! I would love to collaborate with her in any shape or form: setting a table, singing a song, making a movie… I don’t know… even helping to put on a shoe! I just love seeing her in action working because it inspires me a lot.
Tell us about your single “Roi”– what is the song about?
‘Roi’ is about self-love, self-acceptance, being yourself- always – never forgetting who you are and what your identity is. Never letting others put you down and being your own person.
Tell us five things you love about the city you live in, Paris, and why……
- The Summer! Paris in the Spring and Summer is just amazing. Sometimes it goes from rainy to sunny but that doesn’t bother me
- Coffee shops. I love going to coffee shops with my friends, spending time and talking around a good cup f coffee for hours and hours and hours…
- Access to anything – museums, movies, theatres – all of the cultural access in the city. I love it.
- The Architecture. I just love Paris as it’s very beautiful and diverse and it feels like there is a good soul to the city and I just love it.
- McDonalds! Because the French McDonalds is healthier than any other I’ve been to anywhere else on Earth!
What are you most looking forward to this year?
Touring! The My Kingdom tour starts in L’Olympia which is one of the most mythical places to have a show in. Everyone played there – the place with the famous big red sign outside! I just can’t wait to sing at this venue and all over France and the rest of Europe too!