Sevi Ettinger is a young talent: still only 16 – she is already being called “a rising star” by many in the music industry. Sevi’s new release, “Universe”, is , by her own admission, “an extraterrestrial bop with layers of upbeat, powerful, striking elements: “we can be the universe, only if we try”. I hope this song inspires you to be your own universe.” Sounds like Sevi Ettinger is wise beyond her years. We decided to find out more about her with a Take 5…
When did you realise that you wanted to be a music artist? What or who has inspired you?
I always knew that I had a growing passion for music and the art of creating new things, but I think the first time I felt like I could take a path in the music industry was after I got a huge response after writing “Salty Water” on a music app. I realized people were listening to what I had to say and enjoyed my way of creating a song. After that, I just kept writing, and I’ve realized that this is a true passion that I enjoy and one day hopefully get to do for the rest of my life! Though I am a huge fan of Kehlani, Ariana Grande, Hayley Kyoko, and Khalid, listening to underground musicians, for example, singers who perform on the street or online and in the smaller music venues in the city I live, has helped me see music as a culture. They have definitely inspired me to want to be a part of that culture.
Who, living or dead, would you dream of collaborating with?
Charlie Puth is definitely someone I would want to collaborate with. He’s ridiculously talented, makes some of the best beats, and I feel we would work really well together to create new music.
Tell us about your single – what is the song about?
My newest single, ‘Universe’, produced by DJ Shaan, is an upbeat song that I wrote one day when I was a bit confused about my life and where it was going. It seemed like everyone around me knew what they planned to do in the future, and I felt like I was the only one who had no idea what my plans were. Eventually, I realized that understanding your future aspirations is a long process, and if you just keep being authentic, you’ll become bigger than yourself. That’s why I say, “We can be the universe, only if we try”.
Tell us five things you love about the city you live in, and why?
The five things I love about Shanghai, China most are:
- The vast, never-sleeping city is full of things to do and see. If you get bored there, you’re not doing enough.
- I love my school and the communities that I’m part of, both socially and academically. I feel like I live in a very welcoming, open-minded environment.
- The food is incredible. The city is very international so there are lots of cuisines to try, as well as the authentic Shanghainese food.
- Public transportation is pretty great. Riding the subway is a very easy way to get around, as well as the public bikes and taxis.
- It’s definitely becoming more progressive in terms of how environmentally-friendly it is. The sky is very clear (unlike other cities around the world which can feel polluted), and there are more precautions being taken on recycling.
What are you most looking forward to this year?
I’m really looking forward to performing at more charity concerts (and possibly host my own!), collaborating with more people, making more music, being with my friends, continuing to give back, and having a great school year.