‘Drownload’ has returned for 2019, with rain battering Donington Park for almost 48 hours from Tuesday – and the music is yet to begin!
Spirits are, for some, muted at this year’s edition, after flooded tents and drenched clothes have seen many escaping in the early hours of Thursday morning.
However, for the most part, it’s business as usual for Download’s revellers…
The majority consensus is that 2019 isn’t as bad as the infamous 2016… yet.
If you haven’t yet arrived, here’s some tips to help you get through this year’s Drownload and focus on the music!
- CHECK. YOUR. WELLIES. Check your tents. Check all your gear. Holes in tents can make the difference between a good night’s sleep and everything you own and love getting soaked. And for the love of all that is good, buy a PROPER double/triple skinned tent. Pop-up tents aren’t going to last 5 minutes.
- Consider bringing spare gear (sleeping bags, clothes) to leave in the car. Download hosts some of the most positive festival goers in the UK, but with many not so prepared for the rain, there have been reports of desperate and drunk attendees raiding tents for dry sleeping bags. Better safe than sorry.
- Have a little emergency cash set aside for any unforeseen incidents. The Village is selling gazebos, wellies and tents, and it’s bound to stock up more as the weekend goes on.
- Think about clothes carefully and your own personal comfort levels. Jeans may make for a miserable time – think instead quick-dry and waterproof trousers. Some Downloaders are swearing by shorts over jeans so that they can at least towel off at the end of the day. It’s wise to bring spare ponchos if you can.
- If all else fails, there’s plenty of hotels available within a 20 minutes drive of the grounds – and plenty of regular attendees have already retreated to these havens of warmth. However, if the weather stays wet and the campsites fill up, these may be snapped up sooner than later – so plan ahead if you think you might struggle.
Share your tips with us and on social media – rock on and let’s keep those spirits high for an excellent lineup this week at Donington Park!